Cameron Kay on CH EQ Reedann’s Heir To Glory (Howard Schatzberg)
Lexington, Ky. – A talented field of competitors entered Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo., on Saturday, November 14, in hopes of winning the USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final presented by Elisabeth M. Goth at the United Professional Horsemen’s Association (UPHA) American Royal National Championship. Three riders were tied for first place at the end of the Final, requiring a ride-off in front of the judging panel comprised of Betsy Boone (Concord, N.C.), Liz McBride Jones (Raeford, N.C.), and Helen Robertson (Simpsonville, Ky.). Cameron Kay, Molly Codeanne, and Courtney McGinnis returned to the arena rail to perform additional rail work to determine the champion. Kay (West Bloomfield, Mich.) gave a stellar performance in the ride-off to be crowned the champion, improving from her 2014 Reserve Champion finish. She received the Gold medal after demonstrating her excellent equitation skills aboard her own CH EQ Reedann’s Heir To Glory, both on the rail and during pattern work.
“It was so exciting,” Kay said of her experience in the Final, with the ride-off being a particular highlight. “It was the most thrilling experience in my entire life. There were two other amazing riders so it could’ve gone any way.”
As the 2015 USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final Champion, Kay will have her name engraved on the Adrian Van Sinderen Trophy, alongside a prestigious list of prior winners dating back to 1937, as well as the Helen K. Crabtree Perpetual Bronze.
Codeanne (Wethersfield, Conn.) claimed the Reserve Champion title with Cedarledge Farm’s CH EQ Chanti’s Prayer. With a solid performance in front of the judges, Codeanne was awarded the USEF Silver medal.
The Bronze medal was awarded to McGinnis (Santa Barbara, Calif.) riding Fish Creek Stables’ CH EQ Imagine My Surprise.
Full class results:
Champion: Cameron Kay, West Bloomfield, Mich., aboard CH EQ Reedann’s Heir To Glory, instructed by Todd Miles
Reserve Champion: Molly Codeanne, Wethersfield, Conn., aboard CH EQ Chanti’s Prayer, instructed by Kristin Cater
- Courtney McGinnis, Santa Barbara, Calif., aboard CH EQ Imagine My Surprise, instructed by Todd Miles
- Ellie Grosspietsch, Cross Plains, Wis., aboard CH EQ Final Act, instructed by Sheri Brandl
- Taylor Pszeniczny, Southwick, Mass., aboard Won for the Gipper, instructed by Gary Garone
- Clara McCool, Newburyport, Mass., aboard My Sudden Surprise, instructed by Kristin Cater
- Madison Stringer, Scottsdale, Ariz., aboard My Kind of Lover, instructed by Scott Matton
- Faith Robbins, Carmel, Ind., aboard Heir’s Encore, instructed by Kelly Budd Wendling
- Sydney Budzinski, Mukwonago, Wis., aboard Royal Tryst, instructed by Scott Matton
- Alice Rowland, Kansas City, Mo., aboard CH Callaway’s Winning Number, instructed by Melissa Smith Hughes
For more information regarding the USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final, contact Jennifer Mellenkamp, Director, National Breed/Discipline Affiliates at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859) 225-6955.
By Kathleen Landwehr