Hurricane Irma is making its way toward Florida, and Palm Beach Equine Clinic is ready and available to help horse owners prepare for and weather the storm. Owners are urged to put their hurricane emergency plans into action and take precautions to ensure their horses’ safety before conditions worsen.
Hurricane Safety Tips Include:
- Clean up around the barn for debris that may take flight.
- Put a halter on your horse with a tag stating the horse’s name/contact number in case he or she gets loose for the duration of the storm.
- Ensure that horses have access to fresh water.
- Place feed/hay in an easy place to get to and off of the ground.
- As an owner, perform a physical examination of your horse the day before to make sure all is healthy and have a comparison for after the storm examination.
Palm Beach Equine Clinic is available for all emergencies 24/7. In case of an emergency, please call the main line at (561) 793-1599. Doctors will be on call to drive to farms to assist or treat horses.
Lend a Helping Hand
In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, there are several ways members of the equestrian community can help. Click below to donate to American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) and U.S. Equestrian Disaster Relief Funds.