LEXINGTON, Ky (June 6, 2012 – Originally released May 18, 2012) – The recent ABC Nightline segment on the abuse of Tennessee Walking Horses demonstrates once again why the National Walking Horse Association (NWHA) was established and why NWHA continues to play a vital role in the TWH industry. We are committed to stop soring and abuse of our great horses. Abusive practices such as those highlighted on the Nightline segment are not tolerated in our organization. We fight daily to ensure that horses are treated kindly and with great respect. NWHA is the answer to this horrible tradition.
Since 1998, the National Walking Horse Association has been promoting the general welfare of and serving as an advocate for the Walking Horse against abusive and inhumane treatment. As a USDA certified HIO, NWHA has adopted and enforced the highest level of penalties for HPA violators, adopted “no tolerance” for soring practices, and has a mandatory requirement that all DQP’s, Judges, and Board of Directors members have no violations of the HPA.
The NWHA’s mission is to:
• To promote the general welfare of the Walking Horse.
• To serve as an advocate for the Walking Horse against abusive and inhumane treatment.
• To provide an equitable affiliation program for Walking Horses to be exhibited, judged, and showcased in full compliance with the Horse Protection Act.
• To increase public awareness of the natural abilities of the Walking Horse.
• To generate growth of the National Walking Horse Association via the marketing, promotion, advertising, and publicity of the natural Walking Horse.
• To increase the proficiency of the National Walking Horse Association members in all matters of horsemanship.
• To serve as a communication hub for the Walking Horse Industry and other equine interest groups.
• To carry out the purposes as set forth in the Corporation’s Restated Articles of Incorporation.
• To engage in any and all other lawful business allowed accomplishing the above purposes.
The National Walking Horse Association strives to increase public awareness of the natural abilities of the flat shod Walking Horse and provide an equitable affiliation program at which they may be exhibited, judged, and showcased in full compliance with the HPA. Soon after its founding, NWHA prohibited pads, chains, and other action devices from the Association’s competitions. Since that time, NWHA has worked diligently to promote the flat shod walking horse in all disciplines; from the show horse to Dressage, Reining, timed events, and trail horse programs. To learn more about NWHA and our National Grand Championship Show, being held this year in Wilmington, Ohio, October 1st through the 6th, please visit our website at www.nwha.com.
Note: If you have not yet viewed the Nightline Segment, here is the link to it: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/tennessee-walking-horses-abused/story?id=16360835. Please be warned that this video is graphic and difficult to watch.
National Walking Horse Association
4059 Iron Works Pkwy, Suite 4
Lexington, KY 40511